I love this buffalo jackfruit stuffed sweet potato recipe because its so simple to make and it tastes amazing! It takes around 10-15 minutes to make and is made with only healthy whole-food & plant-based ingredients. With the minimal ingredients I used, it cost me next to nothing to make, so if you’re on a budget then this is one for you.
On a side note, I have decided that I want The Vegan Afterglow to focus more on plants rather than processed food. As well as being oil free, low sugar, budget friendly & easy to prepare. So from now on, all the recipes on TVA will all be healthy & glowing recipes! I might create the odd healthy junk food vegan recipes, because it’s hard not to take advantage of all the amazingly new & yummy vegan alternatives out there nowadays.
If you’ve never cooked with jackfruit before then don’t be put off because it is so easy to cook. You just put the can of jackfruit in a pan with some water, add a cube of veggie stock, boil it for 10 minutes, drain it and then add the sauce. If you want a crispier jackfruit then boil it and then put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes depending on how much you’d like it cooked. I usually put jackfruit in the oven if I’m making a vegan pulled pork dish, but for this recipe I wanted it so be quick and easy, and it tastes just as good! You can find jackfruit at your local asian supermarkets, but I found mine at Aldi!
For the sauce, I put coconut milk in the fridge for 24 hours, then scooped out the top layer of thick “coconut cream”. I’m not a big fan of any of the supermarket vegan sour creams, and this tasted so good and a lot healthier for you too. I find that a lot of the vegan alternatives in the supermarket are full of processed ingredients and oil, and I wanted to keep this recipe as healthy as possible.
I found that buffalo sauce works best with the sweet potato and coconut cream sauce. But if you’re not a big fan of buffalo sauce then feel free to use whatever sauce you want!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- The coconut cream from 1 tin of coconut milk
- 1 can of jackfruit in water
- 1 cube of veggie stock
- Around 1 tbsp of buffalo sauce
- A sprinkle of fresh or dried coriander
1. Before you make this recipe, don’t forget to put a can of coconut milk in the fridge for around 24 hours to create the thick coconut cream layer.
2. First start by adding a can of jackfruit to a pan with boiling water. Add a veggie stock cube for extra taste.
3. While the jackfruit is boiling, pierce your sweet potato with a knife a few times, then put on a plate in the microwave for around 7 minutes.
4. Boil the jackfruit for around 10 minutes, drain and add to a small bowl.
4. Add the buffalo sauce to the jackfruit and mix until fully coated. (I used half of this and kept the rest for the next day)
5. Place your buffalo jackfruit on top of your sweet potato, add the coconut cream and sprinkle some coriander on top, and boom you’ve got yourself a buffalo jackfruit stuffed sweet potato in less than 15 minutes.