So you’ve made the decision to give up dairy, yay! Whether it’s because you’ve recently found out you have a dairy intolerance (two thirds of the world’s adults are lactose intolerant now) or you’re ready to leap into veganism, this post is going to show you how easy it is to make simple swaps & live a dairy-free life!
One of the best things about ‘veganism’ becoming mainstream, is the amount of new dairy-free options in the supermarkets now, making it the best time to go dairy-free. Not to mention a lot of dairy free milks that can be made at home with a nut milk bag. It took me a while to give up dairy, but when I finally did, I realised that I was just making excuses at the expense of my health, and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be.
With the endless choices of yummy cheeses, yogurts, ice creams, cream cheeses, milks & more, there has never been a better time to ditch the dairy!
So why do people choose to give up dairy?
- Casein (found in cow’s milk) is the biggest cancer promoter ever discovered
- Cheese has an opioid effect on the brain & has been proven to be addictive
- Plants have enough calcium to meet your daily needs without drinking cow’s milk
- Cow’s milk & cheese has been proven to increase the risk of breast cancer & cardiovascular disease
- In the average glass of cow’s milk there are 35 hormones & 11 growth factors including IGF-1 & oestrogen. IGF-1 in small amounts increases the risk of common cancers, including breast, prostate, lung and colon
- Dairy can cause acne & weight gain
- Cow’s milk is linked to chronic diseases such as osteoporosis, heart disease & diabetes
- Legally, regulations allow 2 million puss cells in each teaspoon of cow’s milk – yuck!
Simple Dairy-Free Swaps
- Cow’s milk >> Plant-based milk
- Butter >> Vegan spread or coconut oil
- Whipped cream >> Coconut cream (refrigerate coconut milk for 24 hours)
- Cheese >> Store bought cheeses, homemade nut cheeses, nutritional yeast
- Yogurt >> Vegan store bought yogurts
- Ice cream >> Store bought or nice cream made with bananas
- Cheese sauce – Store bought or homemade
- Milk chocolate >> Dark chocolate, oreos… the list is endless for dairy free chocolate
The Big Calcium Myth
If you’re giving up dairy & you’re worried about your daily “calcium” then let me put your mind at ease. One of the biggest myths regarding veganism is that vegans are calcium deficient because they don’t drink cow’s milk. It’s actually a crazy thought that the dairy industry has made the majority of the population think that they need cow’s milk for strong bones and teeth. Not only is that utter bullshit, but studies have now proven that it’s in fact quite the opposite. In the UK, our dairy consumption is classed as high (an average of 270g of dairy products a day), and yet we have one of the highest osteoporosis rates in the world. Whereas, Nigeria for example, has almost no cases of osteoporosis… and dairy makes up only 1% of their diet. (Source) You need CALCIUM for strong teeth & bones, and cow’s milk is the unhealthiest source of calcium you can put into your body.
How much calcium do I need?
According to the UK Government, adults need around 1000mg of calcium each day. So where can you get your daily intake of calcium if you give up dairy?
Easy Dairy-free (& Vegan) Alternatives
These products below are just a fraction of the amount of dairy-free options in the supermarkets today. They can be found at Tesco, Ocado, Sainsbury’s, Holland & Barrett, Aldi, Morrisons, Asda & more. Big companies & supermarkets are noticing the demand for vegan products, so keep an eye out for new products!
Easy Dairy-Free (& Vegan) Recipes
If you love cooking (like me) and would rather make your own less processed dairy-free food, then try some of these easy recipes!